Saturday 10 August 2013

Waiting for a little red light to turn green - or the NBN waiting game

I have all these wonderful posts ready to be written and uploaded with their appropriate photos, but no Internet. It is so disappointing.

Since moving into The Ponds the neighborhood has been wonderful - great friendly Neighbours up and down the street, beautiful parks to enjoy and long winding walking tracks that allow you to actively explore but the biggest and most annoying downfall is the lack of communication services. The Ponds has the lovely benefit of being in a complete black hole to mobile service and when my telco investigated with Optus, the service provider, about this we were told Optus have no plans in the near future to rectify this. Admittedly there are two places in our house we can get some bars of service - my side of the bed (not Doug's) and in an alcove in the kitchen and random service will appear for lightening fast moments in other sections but these will be enough service for your phone to ring but not for the caller to be able to hear you. Helpful. None of these points are consistent, they ebb and flow like a meandering river. Most of the time our great 3G network is reduced to Edge which is pretty much like being stuck on dial up. I am getting very good at playing "statues" as I try to keep service.
But not to worry a lot of posts were written on the train on the way into work. And then I got slack. And then I ended up in hospital with a detached retina in both eyes. Right eye has been operated on and I am in week number 3 of a 6 week healing time before I get to go through it all again for eye number two. I can't work. I can't drive. I am stuck at home unable to lift anything heavy or work in the garden (by garden I mean clay pit). So I long for Internet. I long for a phone service that I can use anywhere in the house.
Finally we received word on Monday that we were NBN live after months of fighting by our Neighbours who have been in since February to get the system working (not happy Landcom - apparently your advertised "NBN ready when you move in" commitments aren't worth a bar of soap). On Friday NBN were at the house connecting the various different boxes that provide the holy grail of Internet that takes us out of the dark ages. Mr NBN tells me he's going to have to head to the connection box up the street because the access light is red, not green. He comes back. The light is still red. "Well it seems you aren't really live. This happened in Windsor and it took weeks to fix". What!? He's reported it. I've called our Critical Case Worker. He's on to it and "hopefully" we will have a green light by Monday. Tuesday at the latest. I hope he is right, I have episodes of True Blood and Games of Thrones to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment